Why can women experience multiple orgasms?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
The male technique of basically “coming close” to having multiple orgasms should not be confused with the extraordinary female potential to experience genuine multiple orgasms. In the case of men, it’s basically a technique to experience some of the pleasure of orgasm while postponing the big payoff of ejaculation, whereas women have a more innate capacity to experience genuine multiple orgasms. Unlike men, who lose their erections quickly and go into what’s called a refractory period (an interval of time that needs to pass before he can get an erection again), it takes longer for a woman’s genitals to return to their normal state. Additionally, the clitoris does not contain a venous plexus, the mechanism in the penis for retaining blood and sustaining an erection.

With more blood circulating in the pelvic region post-orgasm, many women remain in a state of semi-arousal and can more easily experience a second orgasm. As New York Times science writer Natalie Angier wrote of the difference between men and women with respect to orgasmic capacity, “It may take many minutes to reach the first summit, but once there the lusty mountaineer finds wings awaiting her. She does not need to scramble back to the ground before scaling the next peak, but can glide like a raptor on currents of joy.”
The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

Can premature ejaculation be a sign of a more serious health problem?
Dr. Harry Fisch, MDDr. Harry Fisch, MD
Premature ejaculation is a very common sexual dysfunction, but it is typically not indicative of a m...
With premature ejaculation, how long can I go before ejaculating?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Most guys can actually only have intercourse for an average of about two to five minutes before ejac...
How Can I Last Longer During Sex with Premature Ejaculation?
How Might a Man React to Having Premature Ejaculation?