Before taking an SSRI for premature ejaculation, what do I ask the doctor?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
How long you’ll be on the medication. Although some studies suggest that some men retain an increased Intravaginal Ejaculatory Latency Time for about six months after they stop taking SSRIs, these improvements eventually disappear if you stay off the medication. As long as you experience no worse than mild side effects, it’s worth taking a pill now to help you focus on a complete, lifelong approach to managing premature ejaculation (PE). Take things one step at a time. Right now, you just want to focus on treating your PE, and if SSRIs end up helping, with minimal side effects, that’s a good thing.

What side effects you might expect. Your doctor can give you detailed information about side effects, as well as interactions between SSRIs and other drugs. Everyone is different: You might not experience any side effects, or you might find you can handle mild nausea but not headaches, for example. Of course, you won’t know for sure what side effects you’ll have until you take the medication. But discussing the possibilities with your doctor can help you decide which SSRI, if any, is right for you. You’ll probably end up starting with an extremely low dosage and then gradually building up to higher levels.
The Good in Bed Guide to Overcoming Premature Ejaculation

From the New York Times best-selling author of She Comes First arrives the definitive guide to managing premature ejaculation – a book that could save your sex life!Do you suffer from PE? Are you...

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

Why was premature ejaculation beneficial in our evolution?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Believe it or not, premature ejaculation (PE) wasn’t always considered a problem -- in fact, it used...
What is acquired situational premature ejaculation?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Some men have acquired, or situational premature ejaculation (PE), which develops after they've ...
Does Premature Ejaculation Get Better Over Time?
How Can I Talk About My Premature Ejaculation with My Partner?