Why do women experience a decrease in libido as they age?

Dropping Hormone Levels: Well before women hit menopause, their bodies begin to make changes that affect hormone levels. The ovaries, which are the source of 50% of our testosterone, become less active, decreasing the production of the sex hormone that is key to our libido. So, it makes sense that sex drive often drops as we age. If you've noticed a significant downshift in your sex drive, hormones are one of the most likely culprits.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

How can my partner and I match up our libidos?
Kristen MarkKristen Mark
Talk about why one of you isn’t in the mood. Stress about finances, jobs, children, and other ma...
How can I increase my libido without medication?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
You don’t always need to experience desire to be physically aroused. Discuss your concerns with your...
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?
Can a Hysterectomy Hurt My Sex Life?