Which medications can cause loss of libido?

Libido is the desire for sexual interaction. Many medications, including those for depression and high blood pressure as well as certain hormone medications, can cause loss of libido. This list of medications is large but includes propranolol, Prozac, Elavil and Lupron. If you are having trouble with libido, talk to your doctor to see what may the cause.
Eva B. Cwynar, MD
Many prescription medications can cause loss of libido, including hypertension medications, beta blockers, antiseizure medications, Prozac, and Paxil. Even over-the-counter medications such as antacids (including Zantac, Tums, Mylanta) and antihistamines (including Zyrtec and Benadryl) can cause you to say, "Sorry, hon, not tonight." Antacids neutralize the acid production in your digestive system; acid is actually necessary for the absorption of certain nutrients needed to produce hormones. Antihistamines can make you tired, and they can blunt the receptors that usually work to stimulate orgasm. So if you suddenly find yourself uninterested and can't figure out why, check with your doctor. It just might be a new medication that's giving you a headache -- literally or figuratively.
The Fatigue Solution: Increase Your Energy in Eight Easy Steps

Every day, all over the world, millions of women are grappling with many of the same mind and body issues: low sex drive, weight gain, sexual dissatisfaction, chronic stress, anxiety,...

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

How can good communication with my partner increase my sex drive?
Keeping the lines of communication open between you and your partner at all times can be a poten...
How can I talk to my partner about our mismatched libidos?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Perhaps the best way to start a positive conversation with each other about mismatched libidos is to...
Should a Woman on Hormone Therapy for Low Libido have Annual Mammogram?
Is It Normal for a Woman's Sex Drive to Change with Age?