What is low libido?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Defining low libido is quite subjective. There are no physical signs to measure, and libido varies widely from person to person. Age, sex, personality, physical and mental health, and the relationship with the partner all play a role. Medically, low libido is defined as the absence of sexual fantasies or a lack of desire for sexual activity that causes personal distress. However, this too can be variable. Because there's a range of desire levels within "normal" libido, differing amounts of sexual interest can create tension in a relationship, even if the person with the lower libido has some sex drive.

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

What foods can boost my sex drive?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
A beautifully woven theme running through the Kama Sutra is the sensual power of food and drink to e...
How can my partner and I match up our libidos?
Kristen MarkKristen Mark
Talk about why one of you isn’t in the mood. Stress about finances, jobs, children, and other ma...
Delicious Aphrodisiacs to Rev Up Your Sex Life
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?