What is flibanserin for treating low libido in women?

Flibanserin (sold under the brand name Addyi) is the first drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating low sexual desire in women. Though people may refer to it as the "female Viagra," it works in a very different way. Erectile dysfunction drugs for men, such as Viagra, work mechanically by increasing blood flow to the penis, because erectile dysfunction is caused by poor blood flow -- really a matter of plumbing. Low sexual desire, on the other hand, is a much more complicated problem, and flibanserin appears to work by changing the balance of certain chemicals in the brain. The drug was originally studied as an antidepressant.

The approval of flibanerin in August 2015 was controversial. Many doctors feel that the benefits (in trials, women who took the drug had about one more satisfying sexual experience per month compared to those who took a placebo) aren't impressive enough to outweigh the potential side effects (which can include low blood pressure, fainting, dizziness and sleepiness). Others hail flibanserin as a breakthrough, because it provides the first treatment option for a common problem. 

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

How can walnuts improve my sex life?
Walnuts are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, known to boost the brain’s “pleasure chemical,” do...
What are the benefits of a healthy sex life during menopause?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Having sex regularly isn't just good for your mind, it's also good for your body, says obstetrician ...
What Are the Risks Associated with Hormone Therapy to Treat Low Libido in Women?
Why Is Little or No Sex Drive Something I Shouldn't Ignore?