How can I support my partner with less interest in sex after a heart event?

When your partner has heart disease, it can make you nearly sick with worry if you let it. Additionally, you may find that your relationship is strained by a new fear of intimacy. Look for ways you can channel your concern into support for your partner. Here are some tips that may be helpful to your loved one.
  • Talk honestly and openly with your partner. Choose a time and place when you are both relaxed. Share your feelings while avoiding blame.
  • If your partner seems to have lost interest in sex, do not take it personally. Having heart disease and/or recovering from a heart event can be a physical challenge as well as a scary, overwhelming, emotional experience.
  • Initiate other forms of intimacy with your partner. Take the pressure off your partner by letting him or her know that you are not trying to rush engaging in sexual activity before he or she is ready.
  • Encourage your partner to seek professional help to discuss concerns and questions relating to your sexual relationship. If he or she will not seek help, seek professional help for yourself. It sets a good example for your partner and may help you both begin the process of identifying some problems and potential solutions.

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

What product can be used for female libido?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The sexual response cycle is broken down into libido, arousal, and orgasm. Libido is the desire for ...
More Answers
Does growing older mean my sex life is over?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Although some older men and women might find themselves taking longer to become aroused or losing in...
More Answers
What Causes Pain During Sexual Intercourse?
What Causes Pain During Sexual Intercourse?
What Should Couples Do When They Have Mismatched Libidos?
What Should Couples Do When They Have Mismatched Libidos?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.