Why do women respond to a wide range of sexual stimuli?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Women respond to a wide range of stimuli for both medical and speculative reasons.

• Protection. The lubrication of the vagina functions to minimize friction associated with penetration. Reducing friction reduces tearing of the vaginal walls, which in turn reduces risk of infection.
  • So why would a woman respond genitally to, like, pictures of monkeys having sex? Because her body is preparing itself for penetration, to prevent infection. Her body is protecting itself. The reason why (I think) women respond genitally to more or less anything: generic physical preparation for potential sex, in order to reduce harmful consequences associated with penetration. This is what Meredith Chivers suggested at a conference a few years ago, and it sounded good to me.
  • Reward. This one is highly speculative, even though it will sound perfectly sensible. It’s sensible because it’s based on a common assumption, and as far as I’ve been able to figure it’s an untestable assumption. The hypothesis here is that pleasure rewards a woman for doing things that turn her on, which will in turn potentially result in selecting a good genetic mate, building a supportive social network, etc.

Pleasure, not orgasm per se. The available science suggests that high intensity arousal is plenty to change a woman’s biochemistry in the appropriate ways; orgasm is not the target.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Have You Lost That Lovin' Feeling?
Have You Lost That Lovin' Feeling?
For years, you've been happy with your sex life. But now you rarely, if ever, feel in the mood, or your partner rarely, if ever, feels in the mood. Or...
How does sexual orientation affect response to sexual stimuli?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
The simple answer to this question is no, your response to sexual stimuli is no different. Getting t...
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Expert tips for incredible sex from your 20s to 80s.
Why Is Foreplay so Important?
Why Is Foreplay so Important?