Why do men fall asleep after sex?

It's no secret that men often fall asleep after orgasm. Watch as Dr. Oz talks with emergency room physician Dr. Billy Goldberg in this video about why hormones play a role in causing men to fall asleep after sex.

Great question, that gets asked quite a lot, because this behavior seems to be a common occurrence -- although there really isn’t any evidence to back up this belief. I don’t know of any formal study, but there are a few theories. The act of erection and ejaculation redirects blood flow from the brain, reducing oxygen, and may cause a feeling of drowsiness. There is also muscle constriction in the pelvis and groin area. Prolonged muscle tension will cause muscle fatigue and the need for relaxation. When this part of the body becomes more relaxed, the rest of the body may become more relaxed as well. The actual physical activity involved, particularly for the man in the traditional missionary position, may also be a factor. The act of ejaculation is euphoric, which may lead to a feeling of relaxation.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Make Love, Calm Down
Make Love, Calm Down
Do your palms sweat, knees shake, and lips quiver at the thought of giving a presentation? The key to keeping your jitters at bay may lie between the...
What is sexual response?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Sexual response can refer specifically to the physical changes that occur during sexual stimulation ...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
How Can I Pinpoint Why My Libido Is Low?