Why does my daughter think of sex and marriage differently than I did?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy
Over the last 20 years I've seen a more relaxed approach to sex in general. I attribute this the media and TV shows like Sex in the City, Cougar Town and others. These shows glamorize casual and predatory sex among women. I also attribute it to the Internet and the ease with which people can "hook up" online and subsequently in the bedroom. Another factor that we can't ignore is the debate we've had over the last decade around gay marriage. These debates have enabled us to look at the institution of marriage as a dynamic institution that should serve people equally and meet people's emotional and sexual needs.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

ED Drug May Also Help Men Reach Orgasm
ED Drug May Also Help Men Reach Orgasm
Erectile dysfunction (ED) doesn't have to sideline you from a healthy sex life. Impotence drugs can help you “be ready when the moment's right,” as th...
Is soul mates' love a journey or a destination?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
Soul-mates' love is both the destination and the journey. In this most simple yet significant act of...
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
They do a number on your sex life—and can point to even bigger health problems.
What Do Women Want During Sex?
What Do Women Want During Sex?