What does society think about homosexuals?

We have grown up in a society that largely condones negative messages about queer people. It is almost impossible not to internalize, to some extent, the homophobia around us. Sometimes, this may mean rejecting your desires for women, consciously or unconsciously, which may lead you to self-hating or self-punishing behaviors. You may feel uncomfortable seeing other queer couples together, or have trouble thinking of yourself as queer. These issues can prevent you from achieving intimacy and connection, which can be incredibly painful. Some of us are caught between our cultural upbringing and the desire to find love.

Sometimes society's negative views are so insidious that they can cause us to hurt ourselves and our partners. If you are closeted or passing as a gender that mainstream society might not acknowledge as your own, and your partner threatens to expose you, that is emotionally abusive. If your partner blames all her problems on your internalized homophobia or transphobia, or uses your bisexuality against you, it is important to get an external perspective and make sure you are not being manipulated. The homophobic and heterosexist attitudes in our society are not our fault. They are bred by ignorance and intolerance, and we do not deserve to have these negative messages inflicted upon us. While cultural attitudes toward our relationships are improving, we are still invariably affected by prejudice. We cannot force people to accept us, but we can build a supportive community, face our fears, and work through our internalized homophobia over time, which will give us greater access to intimacy and love.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
It's one of the best—and easiest—ways to get to know your body. Whether you're single or in a relationship, you shouldn’t shy away from self-pleasure....
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
How Can I Get Out of a Sex Rut?
How Can I Get Out of a Sex Rut?
Why Is Little or No Sex Drive Something I Shouldn't Ignore?