What is sensate focus technique in sex therapy?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
The cornerstone of sex therapy is a series of behavioral exercises called sensate focus exercises. These highly structured touching activities are designed to help you overcome performance anxiety and increase your comfort with physical intimacy. Sensate focus training also helps teach you about your partner's body as well as your own.

Initially, the couple agrees to refrain from intercourse or genital stimulation until the later stages of treatment. This helps dispel anxiety that's built up around sexual performance and allows you to establish new patterns of relating. Couples and therapists also discuss how frequently the couple will perform the assigned exercises between therapy sessions.

Occasionally, couples are reluctant to complete the homework assignments. This too can be revealing. By delving into the roots of this resistance, the therapist can better understand the origins of the problem.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

What Causes Headaches After Sex and Exercise?
Q. What could be giving me throbbing headaches when I have sex? I've also experienced this during the last few reps of a total weight workout. The pai...
Is vaginal odor more noticeable or worse after sex?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
There are many different odors that are associated with sex.  First, there is a natural smell in vag...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
How Long Does Sexual Intercourse Usually Last?