What medications play a role in sexual desire?

Certain medications can play a role in sexual desire, as well as in the likelihood and intensity of an orgasm. If you are taking a prescription drug or herbal supplement and notice a change in your sexual functioning, there may be a connection.

Antidepressants, in particular, are known to affect sexual functioning sometimes. Some selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) antidepressants, such as Prozac, Paxil, and Zoloft may reduce sexual desire and the ability to have an orgasm. However, antidepressants such as Wellbutrin (bupropion) have been shown to cause less sexual dysfunction than SSRIs and some women even report an increase in sexual desire. Adjustments in drug dosage can sometimes affect sexual side effects.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

How Can I Deal With Performance Anxiety?
How Can Men Deal With Erectile Dysfunction?
Why Should I Schedule Sex?
Why Should I Schedule Sex?
What Is the Most Important Tip for a Good Sex Life?