What is sexual orientation?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

Sexual orientation refers to whom you are sexually attracted as opposed to what social role you play. There are many books, journals and websites that can answer this question. They will all essentially say just that. There are many terms to describe every eventuality; gay, lesbian, bi, and so on. The answer published by the Boston Women`s Health Book Collective has an excellent list.

Sometimes the real question is not what is sexual orientation but rather how do I know what my sexual orientation is. If you are asking that question, then you already have some sense of potentially being something other than heterosexual, which is most common. It is very healthy to be sufficiently aware of yourself and to ask those questions. Find a reliable and confidential resource to help guide you as you find your own answers. There are organizations, counselors, even friends and relatives that could help and would be willing to do so.

Sometimes people do not know enough about their feelings to ask those questions. They have been raised in an environment that does not allow alternatives to heterosexuality and so have never permitted other feelings or thoughts to enter into their conscious mind. They may live their whole lives without ever exploring their real selves. Hopefully, eventually, as they mature, these folks will find themselves at a stage of self-discovery and in a sufficiently tolerant environment where they can shed social pretense and embrace their reality, whatever that may be.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

How Can Men Deal With Erectile Dysfunction?
How Can I Get Out of a Sex Rut?
How Can I Get Out of a Sex Rut?
Can an Active, Healthy Sex Life Help Alleviate Menopause Symptoms?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?