What is sexual desire?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Desire can be dissected into three parts: sexual drive, sexual wish, and sexual motive. Sexual drive is an impulse for sexual release. It can manifest itself as a longing to reproduce or to have sex, erotic thoughts or dreams, or an urge to masturbate. Sexual wish is the willingness to have sex. Even if an individual's physiological need for sex is weak, he or she may wish to participate in the activity to feel more connected to another person, to feel more masculine or feminine, or to feel more physically energetic. Sexual motive is the combination of factors that impel a person to want sex.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

All About YOU: The Ultimate Mood Booster?
Great sex—if it is within a mutually monogamous relationship—may be one of the ultimate mood boosters. In fact, semen contains powerful—and potential...
Why can it be important to talk during sex?
When it comes to sex, some women are as silent as a 1920s movie. They fear that they can't tell thei...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
What Can I Do If I Feel Pain During Sex?