What causes sexual problems in women?

Sexual concerns and problems are common in both men and women, and they can occur at any age. In the US, about 40% of women have concerns about their sexual health. Often, sexual problems in women are related to other physical or mental health issues. If the cause is physical, it may be due to hormones, blood vessel problems, or problems with mood or brain health. But social issues, such as relationship problems, can also lead to low sexual function, desire and enjoyment. Many medical conditions and chronic diseases, such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and digestive disorders, can have both physical and emotional effects, which can lead to sexual problems. Some medications may also interfere with a woman's sexual health and function. Common concerns include low sexual desire, painful intercourse and problems having an orgasm. If you have sexual concerns, whether due to an illness, menopause, medication or another cause, talk to your doctor. Effective treatments are available.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

My Legs Shake After Sex. Is That Normal?
If you’ve ever wrapped up a romp in the hay with shaky legs, you’re probably wondering why. While everyone’s body responds to orgasms differently, sha...
How does my intimate relationship with my partner work?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The amazing thing about the way an intimate relationship works is that in it, both partners get what...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?