What are the characteristics of a sexsomniac?

Here is what I have found on the characteristics of a sexsominac:
  • Most people who exhibit this behavior are known sleepwalkers -- either in childhood or more recently in their lives.
  • The sexual behavior of the individual during episodes of sexsomnia is different than their usual behavior, sometimes more aggressive than usual.
  • The behavior is always amplified by situations where sleep quality or quantity is worsened: alcohol ingestion, sleep apnea, sleep deprivation.
  • Many of the patients were men.
  • Several patients report that they were dreaming about having sex, or having some type of sexual fantasy.
  • Some of the individuals who reported these behaviors were actually physically sexually aroused, but not all were.
  • This behavior seems to occur in deep non-REM sleep at anytime throughout the night.
  • The behavior can last up to 30 minutes.
  • The behavior is found almost exclusively in adults.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Is Good Sex a Sign of Good Health?
Is Good Sex a Sign of Good Health?
Q: I'm a 54-year-old man with an extremely active sex life. My girlfriend and I have intercourse once or twice a day for 15-30 minutes each time. Does...
What's the most important thing about sex in a relationship?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
The single most important thing about sex is "Have it." People age, marriages change, relationships ...
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Expert tips for incredible sex from your 20s to 80s.
How Can I Deal With Performance Anxiety?