What is the purpose of having sex?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

The real purpose of sex is not to propagate the species, as some biologists will tell you, or even to have fun, as you hedonists might hope, but the joining of souls. It is during sex that we, as natural beings, are most able to transcend space and time, to fully experience our physical bodies, and to identify with the distinctly nonmaterial part of ourselves. Our sexual relationships are an attempt to move beyond the boundaries of the ego. They take us to a place where we can break through our isolation and fall into the realm of unity. While connecting on this level, we are able to merge with another so that we are no longer two separate beings, but one entity.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Why It’s Okay to Schedule Sex
Why It’s Okay to Schedule Sex
I’ve always thought that “scheduling sex” was the death-knell of a relationship—like something those couples that also use the Squatty Potty in front ...
What are some alternate ways of expressing sexual intimacy?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
There are many books written on the myriad of sexual positions and activities. If you are looking fo...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
What Secret Can Improve My Sex Life?
What Secret Can Improve My Sex Life?