What is the purpose of having sex?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

The real purpose of sex is not to propagate the species, as some biologists will tell you, or even to have fun, as you hedonists might hope, but the joining of souls. It is during sex that we, as natural beings, are most able to transcend space and time, to fully experience our physical bodies, and to identify with the distinctly nonmaterial part of ourselves. Our sexual relationships are an attempt to move beyond the boundaries of the ego. They take us to a place where we can break through our isolation and fall into the realm of unity. While connecting on this level, we are able to merge with another so that we are no longer two separate beings, but one entity.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

How Can I Feel More Comfortable With My Body During Sex?
What Do Women Want During Sex?
What Do Women Want During Sex?
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?
What Factors Can Make It Difficult to Get Aroused, Even If a Woman's Sex Drive Is Fine?