Can maternal stress influence a child's sexual orientation?

There's a theory - repeat theory - floating around that maternal stress is linked with sexual orientation. It goes something like this: While genes have a huge influence, there may be some evidence that stress hormones like cortisol can interfere with the production of testosterone. And in a stressed mom, those stress hormones may cross the placenta, interfere with testosterone, and nudge the male fetus's brain to develop along feminine lines.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Never Too Old for Great Sex
Never Too Old for Great Sex
We're all happy to accept that fine wine improves with age—becoming more complex, more enjoyable, more valuable—so why not consider the possibility th...
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Are There Any Risks Associated with Surgery to Treat a Relaxed Vagina?
Is the G-Spot Real?
Is the G-Spot Real?