Can maternal stress influence a child's sexual orientation?

There's a theory - repeat theory - floating around that maternal stress is linked with sexual orientation. It goes something like this: While genes have a huge influence, there may be some evidence that stress hormones like cortisol can interfere with the production of testosterone. And in a stressed mom, those stress hormones may cross the placenta, interfere with testosterone, and nudge the male fetus's brain to develop along feminine lines.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Long-Term Use of Painkillers Linked to ED
If you take prescription painkillers to treat chronic pain, take note: Long-term use of opioid drugs has been linked to erectile dysfunction (ED) and ...
What factors affect a person's sexuality?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Your sexuality is a natural drive that's with you from birth, but your family, your culture, you...
10 Best Cities for Sex
10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex
Find out where men and women are really satisfied.
What Should I Do After Sex?
What Should I Do After Sex?