How can I reduce the effect of painful vaginal sex on my relationships?

Women can do their part by talking to a partner about the pain. Reassure him that you want to have sex, and that you love him and are attracted to him, but that intercourse is really hurting you. Clearly communicating what is going on can help a woman to feel heard and can help her partner to understand her experience, and not to feel personally rejected. Partners can do their part by trying to understand what a woman is feeling and supporting her. Then work together to try to respond to it.

Even though many cases of vulvovaginal pain are caused by medical conditions, the experience of pain and how it affects sex can take its toll on relationships. As such, some couples find that it is helpful to work with a sex therapist who can provide support and guidance as the couple learns to adjust their sex life in response to the pain.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
It's one of the best—and easiest—ways to get to know your body. Whether you're single or in a relationship, you shouldn’t shy away from self-pleasure....
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
What Are the Most Common Sexual Health Concerns Among Your Patients?
Why Is Little or No Sex Drive Something I Shouldn't Ignore?