How should I talk about sex to my partner with bipolar disorder?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
Talk with your bipolar partner. If the topic of sex is taboo, your problems can't be solved. Think of what you want to say and what you need, and sit and talk with your partner and make long-term plans for improving your sex life. Talk about your goals for six months and a year from now. Yes, you can have sexual goals in your relationship. The point is to communicate and compromise. Ask your partner the following questions and let the conversation go from there. How do you feel about our sex life? Do you think the medications are affecting you sexually? I know there are times you don't want to have sex, but I do. What can we do about this? What can we do to be together intimately that doesn't involve sex? What do you need right now, and how long do you think you'll feel this way?

If you have trouble saying what you mean and feel, then write out the questions and let your partner read them. There are many ways to start a discussion. As with any talk you have with your partner, make sure he or she doesn't feel attacked and let him or her know that you come from a position of love.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

News: The United States Is in The Middle of an STD Epidemic
The number of sexually transmitted diseases in America has risen for the fourth year in a row, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Preven...
How do I prevent scheduled sex from spoiling my sex life?
Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MDHilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
You may not have complete control over the days you have sex, but you can certainly change what you ...
10 Best Cities for Sex
10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex
Find out where men and women are really satisfied.
Does the Definition of Sexual Health Change with the Times?