How does the setting matter when it comes to foreplay?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Our perception of sensation is context-dependent. You may have had the experience of being tickled when you’re in a playful mood and you get all giggly and it’s sweet and fun. And you may also have had the experience of being tickled when you are grumpy or annoyed or generally Not In The Mood, and it’s not fun, it’s irritating.

Same stimulation, different experience. So the first thing you know about being spectacular at foreplay is that an erotic setting is absolutely crucial -- and when you get the setting right, almost anything you do can be potentially erotic.

Fortunately for us ladies, men often require no more of an erotic context than you, wanting to have sex with him. Your desire, your pleasure, that’s the best aphrodisiac you can provide.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

What Can I Do If I Feel Pain During Sex?
What Is the Treatment for a Relaxed Vagina?
What Is an Estrogen Ring and How Can It Help with Vaginal Pain or Dryness?