How can scleroderma impact my sex life?

People of either sex suffering from scleroderma may find their sex lives affected by the physical changes that scleroderma can cause. In general, movement might be more difficult, and people may be more self-conscious about their appearance if they've been affected by skin changes. For men, scleroderma can damage blood vessels around the penis, leading to erectile dysfunction. Women may experience vaginal dryness due to damage to certain glands. Skin changes may also constrict the vaginal opening, making intercourse more difficult. Talk with a doctor or counselor if you have concerns about how scleroderma is affecting your sex life.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Continue to Rise in the U.S.
The number of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in America hit an all-time high in 2018, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Preventio...
What healthy habits can improve my sex life?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
The same healthy habits you rely on to keep your body in shape can also shape up your sex life. E...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
Should a Woman on Hormone Therapy for Low Libido have Annual Mammogram?