How can I overcome my performance anxiety about sex?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

The key to managing performance anxiety is to notice that you’re worrying and then do something about it. Simple. But it requires practice. Lots and lots of practice. It will probably be easiest if you begin by practicing outside the context of sexuality -- say, standing in line at the grocery store or sitting on the bus, notice how your arms and legs feel, how your stomach feels, what you’re thinking about, the speed with which you’re thinking, how what you’re thinking is making your shoulders and belly feel. Your breath. In. Pause. Out. Pause. Just notice. The most important thing to notice is when your attention wanders from the thing you’re trying to notice. That skill right there? That’s mindfulness. Noticing when your attention wanders from the thing you’re trying to notice is the skill that will help you stop spectatoring, because you’ll learn to notice when you’re spectatoring and then redirect your attention to the sensations in your body.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Too Much TV Time Can Sabotage Your Sperm Count
Men: Put down the remote and step away from the couch. All that time you spend watching TV (you know who you are) could seriously slash your sperm cou...
How does conflict affect a couple’s sex life?
Good In BedGood In Bed
While some like the passion of sex when they’re angry or the thrill of make-up sex, relationship con...
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Expert tips for incredible sex from your 20s to 80s.
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?