How can hormones affect a woman's sexual desire?

Hormones can affect a woman's level of sexual desire in a variety of ways. Menopause reduces estrogen and progesterone levels in your body (testosterone has been declining since your 20s), which can increase vaginal dryness and may lessen sexual response.

But it's not just menopausal women who may contend with a reduced interest in sex. Younger women who use hormonal contraception may also experience lowered libido.

Further, loss of desire and dissatisfaction with sex may also be influenced by social factors including physical exhaustion from crammed work and family schedules, the staleness that often creeps into a long-term sexual relationship, concerns about losing youthful attractiveness and the belief that sex in midlife or older is somehow lacking in romantic appeal.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Does the Definition of Sexual Health Change with the Times?
Is the G-Spot Real?
Is the G-Spot Real?
How Can I Talk to My Partner About Sex?
How Can I Talk to My Partner About Sex?
When Should Women Start Being Tested for Human Papillomavirus (HPV)?