How do you treat sexual anorexia?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy
Slowly and lovingly. People, both men and women, who suffer from sexual anorexia have a profound fear of rejection. This, coupled with the highly sensitive and intimate nature of their condition, requires a gentle treatment approach that honors them as human beings and avoids shaming them because of their condition. The specific treatment modality I use with my patients who suffer from sexual anorexia is called cognitive therapy. In this approach we identify and and explore their negative and limiting beliefs, identify the distortions in them and correct these distortions to come up with healthier and more fulfilling expressions of intimacy.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

How to Talk to Your Partner About Low Sex Drive
Do you ever daydream about how exciting sex used to be with your partner? If you're missing the "good old days" filled with fun, spur-of-the-moment en...
What kind of challenges can I face as a transgender in society?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Many people of color are faced with difficult choices around their sexuality, gender, and coming out...
10 Best Cities for Sex
10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex10 Best Cities for Sex
Find out where men and women are really satisfied.
What Is the Most Important Tip for a Good Sex Life?