How can I differentiate between sex and gender?

"Sex" and "gender" are two separate yet connected concepts. Sex is commonly understood to be based on a person's biological features such as the penis, testicles, vagina, and uterus that anatomically define the person as a male or a female. Gender is used in several ways. It may refer to gender roles or expression—behavioral characteristics considered masculine or feminine in a particular culture at a particular time. These characteristics can range from hair and clothing styles to the way people speak or express emotions. Gender may also refer to gender identity—our internal sense of ourselves as man, woman, or a transgendered person (not fitting conventional norms). In mainstream U.S. culture, gender is believed to follow directly from one's sex. In other words, a baby born with a vagina is considered a female (a girl) and expected to grow up to be a woman who acts, dresses, and talks in a feminine manner and who dates boys, marries a man, and has children.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Is Good Sex a Sign of Good Health?
Is Good Sex a Sign of Good Health?
Q: I'm a 54-year-old man with an extremely active sex life. My girlfriend and I have intercourse once or twice a day for 15-30 minutes each time. Does...
What can cause a burning sensation during or after intercourse?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Discomfort during or after intercourse is called dyspareunia. Conditions of both the genital and uri...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
What Secret Can Improve My Sex Life?
What Secret Can Improve My Sex Life?