How can I differentiate between sex and gender?

"Sex" and "gender" are two separate yet connected concepts. Sex is commonly understood to be based on a person's biological features such as the penis, testicles, vagina, and uterus that anatomically define the person as a male or a female. Gender is used in several ways. It may refer to gender roles or expression—behavioral characteristics considered masculine or feminine in a particular culture at a particular time. These characteristics can range from hair and clothing styles to the way people speak or express emotions. Gender may also refer to gender identity—our internal sense of ourselves as man, woman, or a transgendered person (not fitting conventional norms). In mainstream U.S. culture, gender is believed to follow directly from one's sex. In other words, a baby born with a vagina is considered a female (a girl) and expected to grow up to be a woman who acts, dresses, and talks in a feminine manner and who dates boys, marries a man, and has children.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation3 Amazing Health Benefits of Masturbation
It's one of the best—and easiest—ways to get to know your body. Whether you're single or in a relationship, you shouldn’t shy away from self-pleasure....
How Can I Stay in Good Sexual Health as I Age?
What Should I Do After Sex?
What Should I Do After Sex?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?