How do I assess how my diet affects my sexual health?

If you are not convinced that a balanced diet promotes genereal health which supports sexual health, you could try an experiment.  If you have never been on an eating binge, try it for a day.  Stuff yourself all day with all the tempting high fat, processed, fried, smothered in gravy food you can get your hands on.  See if you feel like being frisky when you go to bed.  Even if you are feeling frisky, you will probably be uncomfortable and out of breath.  If you have overeaten before, just close your eyes and remember the last time you did and how you felt sexually.  Be honest with yourself.  Chances are this is the only assessment you will need to do to convince yourself to eat healthy.
Recognizing that your diet plays a role in your sexual health, ask yourself the following questions to help assess just what effect your current diet may be having on your sex life:
  • Do you make an effort to eat nutritionally balanced meals?
  • Do you avoid junk food, saturated fats, and foods high in processed
        sugar, that is, empty calories?
  • Do you consider yourself overweight?
  • Do your eating habits leave you energized or lethargic?
  • Do you turn to food for comfort or as a response to anxiety?
  • Do you often snack between meals?

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Not Satisfied in Bed? Your Partner Can Tell
At those times when it’s just not happening for you in bed, “going along to get along” might seem like the polite thing to do. But if you think you’re...
What kind of challenges can I face as a transgender in society?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Many people of color are faced with difficult choices around their sexuality, gender, and coming out...
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now8 Reasons to Have Sex Right Now
You can improve your health just by being intimate.
How Long Does Sexual Intercourse Usually Last?