How do I choose a sex therapist?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
There are several approaches you can take to finding a qualified sex therapist. Your gynecologist or urologist may be able to make a referral. Also, if you're working with an individual or couples therapist, he or she may direct you to a sex therapist. Another good source is the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists, an organization that certifies sex therapists.

Once you have a name, take the following steps to determine whether the person is a good match for you:
  • Call the sex therapist. Some therapists will talk with you on the phone for 15 or 20 minutes to describe their philosophy and approach to treatment and address any questions or concerns you may have.
  • Ask about the approach used, the frequency of sessions, the possible duration of therapy, and the fees involved. Some insurance plans cover sex therapy, just as they do couples therapy or other counseling.
  • Be sure the therapist has extensive training in couples therapy and experience in working on sexual problems.
  • Schedule a first visit. Having an initial meeting is not a commitment to ongoing therapy. Use the session to get to know the therapist and gauge whether you feel comfortable and think you and your partner can benefit from working with him or her. If at all possible, both you and your partner should attend this meeting.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Is Worrying About Your Love Life Making You Sick?
Is your relationship making you sick? It turns out that worrying about the state of your love life can cause your stress level to go through the roof ...
What does transgender mean?
Barbara Ficarra, RNBarbara Ficarra, RN
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, transgender is “a person whose gender...
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Expert tips for incredible sex from your 20s to 80s.
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?