How does attachment style affect sex?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
Attachment style predicts pretty much all the things you might expect when talking about sex and practicing safe sex:

• Anxious attachment is associated with not wanting to use condoms because it puts a barrier between you and your partner; avoidant attachment is associated with more consistent condom use for the same reason.
  • Securely attached adolescents are the most likely to have monogamous long-term relationships, fewer partners and better communication around safer sex practices.
  • Anxious style folks will use sex as a way to allay fears of abandonment, and they report preferring the affectionate aspects of sex to the plain old sexual aspects.

Weirdly, among adolescents, anxious attachment is globally protective for boys but not for girls, in terms of not-so-good health consequences related to sex. Avoidant attachment protects girls but not boys from those consequences. Secure attachment is better than either insecure attachment style, in both boys and girls.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

7 Things You Should Never Do Before and After Sex
7 Things You Should Never Do Before and After Sex7 Things You Should Never Do Before and After Sex7 Things You Should Never Do Before and After Sex7 Things You Should Never Do Before and After Sex
These little habits can ruin your fun and impact your health, too. Sex is fun, feels great and brings you closer to your partner—and regular intimacy ...
Should a Woman on Hormone Therapy for Low Libido have Annual Mammogram?
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?
How Does Menopause Affect a Woman's Libido?