What can I do if I feel pain during sex?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
According to results from the National Survey of Sexual Health, nearly 1 in 3 women experience pain during sex. While some of these women may have vulvodynia, a condition marked by chronic vulvar pain, it's more likely that most women's pain is caused by everyday issues like vaginal dryness or certain sexual positions.

Thankfully, a little lubricant can make many sexual experiences more enjoyable. There are more lubricants available today than ever before -- and they are more widely available as well. Also, another way to decrease pain is to increase the time spent during foreplay. Not only can foreplay increase vaginal lubrication, but it can also help pull the uterus upward, making more room in the vaginal canal and decreasing the chances a guy will hit the uterus during deep thrusting.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

All About YOU: The Ultimate Mood Booster?
Great sex—if it is within a mutually monogamous relationship—may be one of the ultimate mood boosters. In fact, semen contains powerful—and potential...
Which forms of hepatitis can be spread by oral sex?
Whether or not hepatitis can (or cannot) be spread by oral sex depends on the type of oral sex and t...
Is It Normal for a Woman's Sex Drive to Change with Age?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?
Do I Need an Annual Check-Up?