Can sexual health issues signal other medical conditions?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing
All aspects of health are interrelated. Your sexual health will probably be impacted in some way by a medical condition. Be alert to changes in your sexual function and discuss them with your partner and your health care provider.

"Good in Bed" gave an excellent answer from the medical condition side. You could also assess this from the sexual health side. Are you having any issues sexually? What are they? Did they happen before the medical condition occurred?  Talk to your partner to see if the issues you identify are mutual. Talk to your health care provider openly to identify the cause(s) and a solution. Sometimes medical conditions do impact sexual health. For example, high blood pressure medications can be responsible for erectile dysfunction. This requires discussion with your prescribing provider. On the other hand, fear may be diminishing your libido. If you have had a heart attack once and are afraid of having a second, you may be afraid of sexual exertion even though you are doing all the right things to rehabilitate your heart. This requires professional help and your partner's help as well. 
Recognizing that your physical health plays a role in your sexual health, ask yourself the following questions to help assess just what effect your medical condition may be having on your sex life:
  • Do you have a temporary, recurring, or long-term medical condition that directly impacts your general sense of well-being? Have you had one in the past?
  • Have you found that during acute periods of affliction your sex life has been affected either by the condition itself or by the medication(s) you take for it?
  • How much of this impact is caused by negative emotions surrounding the health condition?
  • Are you currently taking any medication? If so, are you aware of any possible sexual side effects?
  • Have you talked to your doctor about how to manage them, or asked if other alternatives are available?
  • Have you talked to your partner and explained how your condition or treatment is making you feel?

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Can Orgasms Improve My Health?
Can Orgasms Improve My Health?
What Should I Do After Sex?
What Should I Do After Sex?
What Are the Risks Associated with Hormone Therapy to Treat Low Libido in Women?
Are Herbal or Other Dietary Supplements Safe and Effective to Treat Menopause Symptoms?