Can people have sex in their sleep?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Sleepsex is an actual condition, also known by the terms "sexual behavior in sleep", or "sexomnia." It refers to any sexual behavior that happens while the person is asleep of which the person has no memory. It is thought to affect only about 1% of the population and has been reported mostly in men. These episodes have been reported to last anywhere from a few seconds to up to 30 minutes. And the sexual activities involved range from loud moaning, to masturbation, to touching and kissing a partner, or attempts at having sex. There also seems to be a large range in the intensity of the behavior, but some instances of rape as well as violent masturbation resulting in bruising have been reported. Usually, partners of sexomniacs report that their partners were not responsive to them or seemed "very distant."

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Pump Up Your Sperm Count
Pump Up Your Sperm Count
Exercise doesn’t just give you muscular arms and chiseled abs. It may also boost your sperm count—and therefore your chances of conception if you’re t...
What are the different types of sexual lubricants?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Most drug stores have a dizzying selection of lubricants, but almost all are water based. While read...
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Healthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every AgeHealthy, Satisfying Sex at Every Age
Expert tips for incredible sex from your 20s to 80s.
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?