Why shouldn't we use sexual lubricants if we want to conceive?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Some sexual lubricants can cause decrease in sperm motility.  If the sperm are unable to swim up through the vagina into the cervix, they will never make it to the fallopian tubes to unite with an egg, and this can be counterproductive in trying to achieve a pregnancy.

While sexual lubricants can be helpful (and pleasing) in many circumstances, they actually can slow down sperm. And in the race of capture-the-egg, slowing down the sperm can cost you the game.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Top 10 Most Dangerous Condom Mistakes
Top 10 Most Dangerous Condom Mistakes
It's not enough to just use condoms. You have to use them correctly! But as many as three out of four people don't. That's because a lot of us have a...
Where do I go for sex therapy?
Tiffanie Davis Henry, PhDTiffanie Davis Henry, PhD
When looking for a sex therapist, you'll want to make certain that you find someone who has been pro...
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?Is "Female Viagra" Right for You?
Two medications have been approved to treat female sexual dysfunction—but do they really work?
Are Herbal or Other Dietary Supplements Safe and Effective to Treat Menopause Symptoms?