Are sexual desires limited to a particular age?

The short answer is no. The focus of sexual desire will change from attracting a mate to self-discovery to comfort and consolation to self-deprecation depending on what is happening in your life, your psychological make-up and/or your age. The goal of sexual desire will change from producing off-spring to exploring your own body, etc. However, having sexual desire is normal, human and worth cherishing. 

Sexual desires can be a source of pleasure at any age. In our teen years, most of us learn that we are supposed to make ourselves beautiful and sexy to become objects of (boys') desire—but not to enjoy our bodies, not to have desires ourselves. We may come to fear that if we have desires, they will automatically lead us to risky sexual behaviors that will, in turn, lead us into danger—unwanted pregnancy, forced sex, and sexually transmitted infections. Once we become aware of our desires, we can choose whether and how to act on them. Some people masturbate, fantasize, write erotic stories, dance, or express them with a partner.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Study Questions Notion of Sexual Addiction
You’ve no doubt heard of sex addiction if you follow sports (Tiger Woods), music (Kanye West) or Hollywood (Michael Douglas). But is it a real addicti...
Why do I feel like I need to pee during sex?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
When you put pressure on the G-spot, particularly during intercourse, you may feellike you need to p...
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction4 Signs You Might Have Sexual Dysfunction
They do a number on your sex life—and can point to even bigger health problems.
How Can I Become More Intimate With My Partner?