What are the possible risks of senna?

Long-term use of senna puts you at risk for dangerous side effects. Do not take senna or any other laxative for more than seven to 10 days. Extended use of senna and other laxatives may result in lazy bowel syndrome, in which your body requires laxatives to have any bowel movement.

Young children may get serious rashes from taking senna. Use extreme caution when giving senna to children.

If you are pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking senna. If you are breastfeeding and your baby develops diarrhea, stop taking senna, as senna can be transferred to a baby through breast milk.

Some serious side effects have been attributed to senna. People taking senna for an extended period of time have reported developing clubbed fingers and toes, liver damage, and weakened muscles and bones. Senna may worsen a preexisting inflammation of the bowels or hemorrhoids.

Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking senna before beginning treatment.

Continue Learning about Senna

What should I avoid while taking senna?
Do not take other laxatives or diuretics while taking senna. Do not take senna or any other laxative...
What is the most important information I should know about senna?
Do not take senna or any other laxative for more than seven to 10 days. Extended use of senna and ot...
What happens if I miss a dose of senna?
If you forget to take a dose of senna, take senna as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time f...
How fast does senna work?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
Senna is one of many herbal laxatives; it is often an ingredient in ‘diet teas.’ It stimulates the c...