What is a fun way for retired people to stay active?

There's a craze that's sweeping retirement communities all over North America: exer-games! Interactive video games (think Nintendo Wii or Xbox Kinect Sports) are extremely popular.

Interactive video bowling leagues in retirement communities are huge. There are tournaments and even intercommunity rivalries. Many communities have get-up-and-move programs for everything from yoga to golf, skiing, soccer and even curling.

Older folks who get active with these games reap many physical, mental and social benefits. As you advance in age, video games can help stimulate your brain, preventing cognitive decline, and memory and muscle (yes, muscle) loss—especially if the games challenge you to think about and do new things. With the added element of physical exercise, interactive video games can help prevent or delay the onset of dementia while improving overall brain and muscle function.

It's no wonder the National Science Foundation is putting $1.2 million into a four-year study to investigate if and how video games slow cognitive decline. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation also pledged $8.5 million to study the impact of video games on everything from Alzheimer's disease to driving skills.

Continue Learning about Fitness for Seniors

4 Tips for Staying Mobile
4 Tips for Staying Mobile
A juicy orange. A handful of crunchy walnuts sprinkled on a leafy green salad. A sweet, sun-ripened pear. Turns out clean, natural foods like these do...
What exercises can help prevent bone loss in older adults?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Weight-bearing exercises improve bone health by reducing the bone loss that typically occurs with ag...
What are two of the best balance exercises for seniors?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
The best balance exercises may be a little tough to peg down because everyone is different. Balance ...
Will water exercise strengthen my legs to help me get up when I fall?
Yes any form of external resistance can strengthen your muscles. Water exercises provide external re...