What kind of exercise is appropriate for a man in his sixties?

Older adults experience physiological changes and degeneration with age. A well-designed resistance training program can slow the changes and improve muscle strength, fiber recruitment, muscle size, and overall functional capacity. When performing strength training you should follow some general guidelines: 
  • Wear appropriate attire when using selectorized equipment.
  • Do not start joint movement at angles that are beyond normal ROM when using selectorized equipment. 
  • Encourage deliberate breathing to avoid rapid increases in blood pressure.
  • Perform short, initial sets of exercise with little to no weight.
  • Perform exercises with proper technique and avoid compensation of other body parts.
  • Perform 1-3 sets of 8-20 repetitions, 3-5 days per week.
  • Begin strength training by performing exercises with lower weight and higher reps and slowly progressing to higher intensity exercise.
Howard E. Lewine, MD
Hospitalist
Physical training should include three components:
  • Aerobic exercise
  • Resistance (weight) training
  • Stretching
I also recommend balance exercises for anyone in their 60's. Tai Chi is an excellent choice.

Aerobic exercise is what you will do most days of the week. So choose something that's appealing. No matter what you choose, start at a low pace.

Walking and jogging are easiest because you don't need to go to a gym or buy equipment. Riding a stationary bike is my favorite. I find it is easier on my joints than jogging.

Resistance training should be done two to three times per week and never two days in a row. Start with low resistance (light weights). Don't increase the weight until you can comfortably do three sets of 8 to 12 repetitions.

Always warm up before any exercise, even after you become more advanced. Take 5 to 10 minutes while you slowly bring your heart rate up.

I recommend stretching after exercise. This way your muscles are warm. Stretching should feel good. Be gentle and gradually increase how far you go with each stretch.

By starting slowly and working up to higher intensity gradually, you are less likely to injure your muscles, joints and tendons.

If you experience any of these symptoms, stop exercising immediately. Don't restart any exercise without first talking to your doctor.
Harvard Medical School Workout Workbook: 9 complete workouts to help you get fit and healthy

The numbers are shocking. Just three out 10 American adults are active enough to stay healthy and fit, and nearly four out of 10 admit they aren t active at all, despite reams of research proving...

Continue Learning about Fitness for Seniors

4 Tips for Staying Mobile
4 Tips for Staying Mobile
A juicy orange. A handful of crunchy walnuts sprinkled on a leafy green salad. A sweet, sun-ripened pear. Turns out clean, natural foods like these do...
Is it safe to start exercising as an older adult?
Absolutely it is safe to start exercising as an older adult. All individuals, young or old, should b...
What are good exercises for seniors?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Prior to exercise you should always try and meet with a professional.  This individual might be your...
How much exercise do older adults need?
If you are age 65 years or older, are generally fit, and have no limiting health conditions, you sho...