How can I make up for the muscle mass I lose as I age?

You can build muscles back up with strength training or strength exercises to replace the lost muscle mass as we age. If you don't replace the muscle mass that you naturally lose, your body composition will change to have more fat and less muscle. Simple weight-bearing exercises like walking can increase muscle mass and trim fat, too.
If you engage regularly in resistance training you cannot  only prevent any loss of muscle mass as you age. Performing regular bouts of resistance training exercise 2-3 times a week will help you maintain your muscles mass as well as improve bone mass and protect you against the wasting of  muscle and bone that often occurs with age. Perform 2-3 sessions a week focusing on all the major body parts each time you lift. If you’re new to lifting start with light weights in the 12-15 repetition range, but as you get stronger start to increase the weight and decrease the number of repetitions performed until you’re working in the 3-6 repetition range. 
Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

The American College of Sports Medicine recommends the following muscle-strengthening activity for the older adult:

Frequency:  At least two days a week

Intensity:  Between moderate (5-6) and vigorous (7-8) intensity on a scale of 0-10.

Type:  Progressive weight-training program or weight-bearing calisthenics (8-10 exercises involving the major muscle groups of 10-15 repetitions (each), stair climbing, and other strengthtning activities that use the major muscle groups.

Assuming you are healthy enough to engage in physical activity, resistance training or weight-lifting can increase lean muscle along with increasing your protein intake, e.g., protein shakes, meal replacement bars, and other food sources like meat, poultry, fish, and whole grains. I hope this helps and have fun!

Continue Learning about Fitness for Seniors