How important is recovery for older athletes?

Many people believe that older athletes automatically need more recovery time between hard workouts, but our observations don’t confirm that. For the vast majority of athletes over 40 we don’t need to schedule any more recovery time than we do for our athletes in their 20s. The biggest reasons for this seem to be the older athletes’ attentiveness to proper recovery habits, post-workout nutrition and sleep. By extension, if many younger athletes had more of their elder’s good habits, they’d need less recovery than we’re forced to schedule for them. Athletes who allow work to consume their lives struggle to maintain consistency in training, nutrition and recovery habits. Carve out time for yourself and you’ll see your performance improve. Tri athletes of any age who can increase their average nightly sleep to eight or nine hours (as opposed to six or fewer), experience significant improvements in workout quality and race-day performance.

Continue Learning about Fitness for Seniors

4 Tips for Staying Mobile
4 Tips for Staying Mobile
A juicy orange. A handful of crunchy walnuts sprinkled on a leafy green salad. A sweet, sun-ripened pear. Turns out clean, natural foods like these do...
How can I make up for the muscle mass I lose as I age?
If you engage regularly in resistance training you cannot  only prevent any loss of muscle mass as y...
How can I exercise and still protect my feet as I get older?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
It's wise to wear comfortable supportive shoes, shoe inserts, or both when you plan to increase ...
What are two of the best balance exercises for seniors?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Any balance exercise that you are able to complete is a great balance exercise. Two great exercises ...