What are effective ways to prevent or detect disease as I age?

Philip Lisagor, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
There are a core set of recommended preventive services that are very effective in preventing disease or detecting disease early. Among these services are screening for breast, cervical and colorectal cancers, and vaccinations against influenza and pneumococcal disease.

Despite the effectiveness of these potentially life-saving preventive services, only one-quarter of adults aged 50 to 64 in the United States, and fewer than 40% of adults aged 65 and older, are up to date on these services.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
Regular exercise is vital to health at any age, but especially as we get older—and become more prone to joint and muscle stiffness, and orthopedic inj...
Why is it important to make homes fall-proof for elderly people?
It is important to make homes fall proof for elderly people because falls are one of the top causes ...
Does being active lower my risk of disability as a senior citizen?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Older adults who remain as physically and socially active as possible have a better chance of not be...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?