What is expected during a geriatric oncology assessment?

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

A geriatric oncology assessment takes about two to three hours. During the assessment, a specially trained geriatrician conducts a thorough evaluation of the patient's health issues and living situation, paying special attention to issues that may affect ability to undergo chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, and long-term side effects of prior therapies.

Following the assessment, the physician provides the patient and their doctor with a written report summarizing the findings and recommendations. The physician also discusses an individualized care plan for the patient. Recommendations may include consulting with other health professionals, including a psychologist or a psychiatrist, a pain management specialist, a palliative medicine specialist, a social worker, a nutritionist, a pharmacist, and a physical and/or occupational therapist.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

Hawaii Health Alert: How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults over the age of 65, an accidental fall could be fatal. In fact, the rate of fatalities from falls in this group has increased 31 p...
Why should I find out the cause of my fatigue if I'm an older adult?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Fatigue, a problem faced by many older adults, can be caused by several factors including diffic...
How can the DMV help ensure that my aging loved one is a safe driver?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is ultimately responsible for the renewal or revoking of driv...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?