As a senior, when should I get the flu vaccine?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

The flu vaccine is recommended for all adults age 65 years and older. It can be taken at any time during the flu season, keeping in mind that it does take two weeks after administration to become effective. Flu season in the United States can begin as early as October and last as late as May. Usually, it is recommended to get the vaccine at the beginning of the flu season, around late September or early October.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

Hawaii Health Alert: How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults over the age of 65, an accidental fall could be fatal. In fact, the rate of fatalities from falls in this group has increased 31 p...
Why is driving a safety concern as we age?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Due to various advances in healthcare and better management of health problems, our life expectancy ...
What are effective ways to prevent or detect disease as I age?
Philip Lisagor, MDPhilip Lisagor, MD
There are a core set of recommended preventive services that are very effective in preventing diseas...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?