How can I lower my risk for a dangerous fall?

In addition to the suggetions provided by the Cleveland Clinic, balance training is crucial for seniors in order to help prevent falls.  Some methods for improving balance include resistance training with an emphasis on training the core. These include exerises such as assisted single-leg squats; single-leg balance reach; exercises performed while standing on a rubberized pad, balance disc, balance pods and/or Bosu.  Performing exercises on a stability ball also aide in strenghtening the core, which in turn helps with stability.

33% of adults over the age of 65 fall each year. These falls account for approximately 19 billion
dollars in direct health care costs. Through proper programming older adults can prevent falls. By improving core stability and balance the older client will experience less falls. Through reactive or plyometric training older adults can improve the muscle’s ability to react in case of sudden perturbation. This gives older adults the ability to catch themselves if they do fall.

There are many factors that can contribute to falls. An unsafe environment -- with uneven floors, rugs, loose carpet, smooth bath/shower surfaces, steps, etc. -- can contribute to falls. If you minimize these hazards, you can reduce your risk of falling. Medications can contribute to falls when they cause low blood pressure, low sugar levels, or dizziness. If you have any of these symptoms or have fallen previously, seek medical advice and review your current medications. In the summer, it is also important to stay hydrated. Regular aerobic exercise can also help prevent falls.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
Regular exercise is vital to health at any age, but especially as we get older—and become more prone to joint and muscle stiffness, and orthopedic inj...
How can people preserve brain function as they age?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Simple activities are often all it takes to preserve brain function as people age. Robin Miller, MD,...
How can I protect my feet as I get older?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
When it comes to your feet, age is more about the number of miles you've logged than the number ...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?