Why is driving a safety concern as we age?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Due to various advances in healthcare and better management of health problems, our life expectancy is at an all-time high, and we expect our ability to drive will keep up with that increase in life expectancy. However, physical, visual and mental changes can occur with normal aging or illness, and this makes it necessary to evaluate whether we can safely continue to drive. How medically fit and high functioning we are plays a larger part in determining our fitness to drive than just our chronological age.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

Hawaii Health Alert: How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults over the age of 65, an accidental fall could be fatal. In fact, the rate of fatalities from falls in this group has increased 31 p...
What is expected during a geriatric oncology assessment?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
A geriatric oncology assessment takes about two to three hours. During the assessment, a specially t...
Why should I find out the cause of my fatigue if I'm an older adult?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Fatigue, a problem faced by many older adults, can be caused by several factors including diffic...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?