How can the DMV help ensure that my aging loved one is a safe driver?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) is ultimately responsible for the renewal or revoking of driver’s licenses. However, each person is unique in the deficits that affect his or her ability to drive, and these deficits may not be readily apparent when a person applies for a license renewal. Also, driving ability may change after renewing the license. That is why it is important to regularly assess for difficulties with driving and bring it to the attention of your doctor, so that appropriate next steps can be taken.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

Frailty: Not a Part of Aging
Frailty: Not a Part of Aging
When Hamlet declares “Frailty, thy name is woman,” (he’s criticizing his mother’s—and all women’s—character as weak), it’s clear that he’d never run i...
As a senior, when should I get the flu vaccine?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
The flu vaccine is recommended for all adults age 65 years and older. It can be taken at any time du...
Why is driving a safety concern as we age?
Due to various advances in healthcare and better management of health problems, our life expectancy ...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?