What can I do if my aging loved one should stop driving but won't?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

If your aging loved one should stop driving but won't, you can make a report, anonymously, to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can also notify his or her doctor. In some situations, when an older adult has dementia, he or she may not have the ability to recognize that they have a problem with driving. In such cases, it may be necessary to hide the car keys, remove the car battery or sell the car.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Seniors' Preventative Health & Wellness

Hawaii Health Alert: How to Prevent the Top Cause of Deadly Injury Among Older People
For American adults over the age of 65, an accidental fall could be fatal. In fact, the rate of fatalities from falls in this group has increased 31 p...
What is the role of home health providers for vulnerable elders?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
In one sense, the role of home health providers is simple: to keep vulnerable elders, who wish to re...
How can I reduce fatigue if I am an older adult?
A healthy diet and regular exercise can improve energy levels at all ages. Avoid sugary or starchy f...
Why Is Preventative Care So Important for Healthcare Reform?