How can I avoid loneliness in old age?

If you are single, evaluate your social ties to avoid becoming alone in old age. Do they provide you with support and help? Single people need to make sure that they have adequate social support from family or friends. Many people find themselves "suddenly single" as they enter their fifties and sixties, due either to the death of a long-term partner or to an "empty-nest divorce," a divorce that happens once the kids have left home. If you are in this situation, seek out other avenues of social support. The friendships you find will help keep you younger, and maybe your friends will introduce you to your second "partner of a lifetime."
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Senior's Emotional Health

Does pet therapy help treat loneliness in the elderly?
Georgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DCGeorgianna Donadio, PhD,MS,DC
In numerous studies, loneliness (especially in the elderly) has been shown to have a significant imp...
What is financial elder abuse?
Dr. Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDDr. Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Theft and fraud top the list of financial abuses for those over 65 years of age. Financial abuse can...
How can I help ease my aging parent's anxiety during a hospital stay?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
You can help your aging parent be less anxious during a hospital stay by bringing glasses, heari...
What does elder abuse look like?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
Elderly can be subjected to physical or emotional abuse. Signs of Physical Abuse may include:Unexpla...