How can I help ease my aging parent's anxiety during a hospital stay?

A good way to reduce an elderly individual's anxiety during a hospital stay is to be present and encouraging during their time there. It is also a good idea to bring some familiarity to the hospital room. One way to do this is to bring some items from your parent's home to the hospital.
Shelley Webb
Nursing
You can help your aging parent be less anxious during a hospital stay by bringing glasses, hearing aids (and extra batteries), and dentures to the hospital. Older persons do better if they can see, hear and eat. Also, bring in a few familiar objects from home. Things such as family photos or favorite photos in an album, a pillow, a favorite comforter or blanket for the bed, rosary beads, a beloved book and relaxation tapes can be quite comforting.

Continue Learning about Senior's Emotional Health

How can I avoid loneliness in old age?
If you are single, evaluate your social ties to avoid becoming alone in old age. Do they provide...
What can I do to prevent depression after I retire?
Mercy Medical Center Mercy Medical Center
You can prevent depression after you retire by taking steps to maintain your self-esteem. Self-estee...
What is elder abuse?
Linda Ercoli, PhDLinda Ercoli, PhD
Elder abuse is the neglect or financial abuse of, or violence toward somebody who is 65 years of age...
How do I know if it is crankiness or elder abuse?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
A long time ago I read somewhere that people don't get miserable when they age, they just get more o...