Does pet therapy help treat loneliness in the elderly?

In numerous studies, loneliness (especially in the elderly) has been shown to have a significant impact on an individual's health and wellness in addition to their feeling valued or loved. Relationships with pets has increased dramatically over the last 10 years in the U.S. Pets can eliminate the sense of being "alone" or lonely and have proven to have healing effects on individuals of all ages and all stages of illness. Many nursing homes and assisted living facilities now use "therapy" dogs that visit the residents and give them the unconditional caring that animals often seem to do better than other humans.

Even our relationships with plants can help us to feel less alone and caring for them provides a sense of purposeful work and fulfillment. In one study, nursing home residents were given house plants to care for versus those who were given plants but did not care for them. The study showed that having a relationship with the plant as well as a sense of purpose by taking care of the plant, made a significant change in the resident's health index and vital signs, which includes blood pressure and pulse and sleep. For more information on the topic of relationships and health, get a free download at www.changingbehavior.org.

Changing Behavior: Immediately Transform Your Relationships with Easy-to-Learn, Proven Communication Skills

FREE CHAPTER DOWNLOAD at www.changingbehavior.org AWARD WINNER 2013 International Book Awards --- WINNER 2012 Indie Book Awards --- AWARD WINNER 2012 USA Best Book Awards ---AWARDED - 5 STARS...

Continue Learning about Senior's Emotional Health

What can I do to prevent depression after I retire?
Mercy Medical Center Mercy Medical Center
You can prevent depression after you retire by taking steps to maintain your self-esteem. Self-estee...
How can I avoid loneliness in old age?
If you are single, evaluate your social ties to avoid becoming alone in old age. Do they provide...
How can I help a senior with an alcohol problem?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
If you suspect an senior is having difficulty controlling alcohol consumption, offer support and mai...
How can a pet benefit a lonely senior?
UCLA Health People Animal Connection (PAC) ProgramUCLA Health People Animal Connection (PAC) Program
A pet can benefit a lonely senior in several ways. Because a person’s oxytocin level rises when he o...